HISTORY OF HÄME IN BRIEF
Häme region has been inhabited since the Stone Age. The first written mention of the region is found in the Chronicle Of Novgorod, in reference to a military campaign launched by Prince Vladimir in 1042. The region had been ruled by the Swedes since the late 13th century, when Birger Jarl led the Second Crusade against the inhabitants of Häme. In the 14th century, Häme became a fiefdom, whose administrative seat was Häme Castle. When Finland was taken from Sweden by the Russians in 1809, Häme region also became part of the Russian Empire. Russian rule ended in 1917.
Häme Castle is one of Finland’s medieval castles. Although the precise timeframe of the castle’s construction is not known, it was at least completed before the end of the 13th century and is linked to the Second Crusade launched by the Swedes. The first written mention of the castle is from 1308. The castle played a crucial role as the administrative seat of Häme in the Middle Ages. Today, the castle grounds are occupied by Häme Castle Museum, Prison Museum and Museo Militaria.