This post is also available in: Suomi
Can Christmas be celebrated responsibly?
The answer is, yes it can!
Do you ever stop to wonder what kind of effects our way of celebrating Christmas have to the surrounding world and society ecologically, socially and economically?
Christmas is generally a season of over consumption which has negative effect to the planet. It is truly good to think about it, but even more to act and aim to be more responsible with our own choices that we make in everyday life. Christmas can be made less consuming, ethical and more environmentally friendly by making the right choices. That makes the planet say thanks and often your wallet too!
The most challenging thing in changing your habits is usually where to begin and how to reach something that feels so huge and almost impossible. Responsibility do spread widely when thinking of Christmas and how to celebrate it but just to change a small thing first and aim to do something differently can have a huge significance. A little goes a long way.
This year we have had an Advent calendar in Visit Häme Instagram and Facebook sites about responsibility on Christmas time and some easy tips what you can do yourself. It was published only in Finnish but, below you can find some tips in English on how you can start to become more responsible consumer.
- Favor local services and local food products
- Favor domestic and seasonal products
- Consider your purchases and their necessity, like on gifts and Christmas food
- Favor materials that you can primarily reuse or recycle
Try to minimize food and other waste generation
- Give an intangible experience or your time as a gift
- Do it yourself or get it recycled
- Respect and value nature
- Cherish traditions and culture
- Remember safety first in traffic
- Share a good Christmas spirit
- Help those in need
- Be kind, love and stop to enjoy being together and the Christmas atmosphere
So come on and let’s all do Christmas celebrating even more responsibly!
More tips you can find from eartheasy.
A student of Sustainable Development